The #TSL5 contest, celebrating our 5th anniversary, is BACK!
Launched in 2010, TSL has seen our global audience grow into one of the largest (and most engaged) screenwriter and filmmaker communities on the social web. Over the years, we've also counted on the steadfast support of dozens of sponsors who've allowed us to keep The Script Lab free for all.
This month, we've partnered with our friends over at WeScreenplay and The 2015 WeScreenplay International Screenwriting Competition. The WISC is focused on providing screenwriters the exposure to get their stories told. There are over $10,000 in prizes and the top three winners will be promoted across many platforms. This year, the Grand Prize Winner will also be mentored by producer Douglas Saylor Jr. Saylor is known for producing critically acclaimed films, including THE GREY (starring Liam Neeson) and KILLING THEM SOFTLY (starring Brad Pitt). This mentorship is truly an incredible opportunity for any storyteller!
Each day — from Monday, October 12 to Friday, October 16, 2015 — TSL will be giving away one (1) free WISC contest entry, including Judges' Notes on your submission (a $94 value)!
To participate, just follow @TheScriptLab on Twitter, tweet out a message on your Twitter timeline that includes the best writing advice you've ever received. To be entered in each day's random drawing, your tweet must also include the contest hashtags (#BestAdvice and #TSL5), our Twitter handle (@TheScriptLab) and WeScreenplay's Twitter handle (@WeScreenplay).
We will be sure to share our favorite entries on our Twitter timeline!
How Long Does the #BestAdvice Contest Last?
The "#BestAdvice" Contest will start Monday, October 12th, 2015 at 12:01 AM Pacific (PT). It will close at 11:59 PM PT on Friday, October 16th, 2015. One (1) daily winner will be randomly selected each day during the Contest Period. The official rules for entry are in the fine print below.
THE SCRIPT LAB “OCTOBER 2015 #BESTADVICE” CONTEST (THE “CONTEST”) RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. SEE BELOW FOR FULL CONTEST DETAILS. YOUR (YOU, OR THE “ENTRANT”) PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR FULL AND UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF, AND AGREEMENT TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY, THESE CONTEST RULES (THE “CONTEST RULES”).
1) The Contest begins on Monday, October 12, 2015 at 12:01 A.M. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:59 P.M. PT (the “Contest Period”).
2) The Contest is open to all followers of The Script Lab on Twitter (http://twitter.com/thescriptlab) who have reached the age of majority in their state, province or territory of residence at the time of entry, except employees (and those with whom such employees are domiciled) of TSL Media, Inc. (the “Sponsor”), WeScreenplay LLC (the “Partner”), their affiliated companies or agents, advertising and promotion agencies and the Contest judges.
HOW TO ENTER
3) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To participate in this Contest the Entrant must:
a) Have a valid Twitter account (an “Account”). If you do not have an Account, visit http://www.twitter.com and register in accordance with the registration instructions for a free Twitter account.
b) Become a follower (a “Follower”) of the official @TheScriptLab channel on Twitter (the “Channel”).
c) During the Contest Period, post a Tweet (the “Contest Tweet”) on your Twitter timeline using your Account, which contains all of the following elements (together, an “Entry”):
i) A message that includes the best writing advice you've ever received;
ii) The following Twitter hashtags: #BestAdvice and #TSL5 (the “Hashtags”);
iii) Our Twitter handle, @TheScriptLab;
iv) Our Partner's Twitter handle, @WeScreenplay;
v) Complies with Twitter Terms of Service and Twitter Rules available at www.twitter.com.
4) You will receive one (1) Entry in the Contest when you post a Contest Tweet as described in Section 3 above and in accordance with these Rules. LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON/ACCOUNT PER DAY DURING THE CONTEST PERIOD (regardless of how many Tweets you post). For greater certainty and the avoidance of any doubt, you can only use one (1) Account to participate in the Contest. If it is discovered that you attempted to enter more than once during the Contest Period, then all your Entries will be void. Use of any automated system to submit Entries is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
5) BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR ENTRY (INCLUDING YOUR USERNAME AND PROFILE PICTURE) MAY BE POSTED ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND/OR SPONSOR’S PROPRIETARY WEBSITE, WHERE IT MAY BE VIEWED, SHARED (BY USERS OF TWITTER AND VARIOUS OTHER INTERNET-BASED SITES) AND COMMENTED ON BY THE SPONSOR AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC. SHARING OF CONTEST TWEETS BY THE SPONSOR OR THE PARTNER IN ANY MANNER DOES NOT INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING WINNERS
6) All Entries will be weighted equally. Five (5) daily winners (the "Winner," collectively the “Winners”) will be randomly selected from all Entries to receive one (1) of the Prizes (as defined below). One (1) Winner will be selected on the following dates (the "Selection Dates"): Monday, October 12, 2015; Tuesday, October 13, 2015; Wednesday, October 14, 2015; Thursday, October 15, 2015; and Friday, October 16, 2015.
WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
7) The day after each Selection Date, in West Hollywood, CA, beginning at approximately 10:00 a.m. ET, Sponsor will contact the selected Winner by sending him/her a private message to the Winner's Account. Selected Winners must reply to the private message within three (3) days of initial contact (the “Contact Period”) and provide the Sponsor with an email address at which the selected Winner can be reached. It is the Entrant’s responsibility to set your Account settings to accept messages by Sponsor and to check your Twitter Account and email account for such messages.
8) Before being declared a Winner: each selected Winner must first correctly answer a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered via Twitter Direct Message (DM). Selected Entrants will be contacted by email, and will be required to sign and return a declaration of eligibility and a liability/publicity release, which:
a) Confirms compliance with the Contest Rules;
b) Releases the Sponsor, its Partner, its affiliated companies and agents, advertising and promotion agencies, the Contest administrators and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns from any liability in connection with the Contest, the Entrant’s participation therein and/or the awarding and use or misuse of the prize or any portion thereof; and
c) Grants to the Sponsor the right to use the selected Entrant’s name, address and likeness in any form of advertising relating to the Contest without further notice or compensation.
9) If a selected Winner: (i) cannot be contacted within three (3) attempts or before the end of the Contact Period (whichever occurs first); (ii) fails to correctly answer the skill-testing question; or (iii) fails to return the declaration of eligibility and a liability/publicity release within the specified time; or if there is a return of any notification as undeliverable, then he/she will be disqualified and forfeit his/her opportunity to be a Winner. The Sponsor, at its sole and absolute discretion, may select another Winner from submitted Entries.
10) Prizes: There will be five (5) separate prizes (the “Prize” or “Prizes”) awarded during the Contest Period, each to one (1) Winner per each day of the Contest Period, as selected on the Selection Date. Each Prize consists of one (1) free entry to the 2015 WeScreenplay International Screenwriting Competition (WISC) and judges' notes (approximate retail value US$94).
11) NOTE: The Prize does not include, and the Sponsor or the Partner will not pay for, any other expenses associated with entering this Contest or the 2015 WeScreenplay International Screenplay Competition.
12) Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable or convertible to cash. No substitutions except at Sponsor’s option. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize or a prize component with one of equal or greater value, including without limitation, but solely in the Sponsor’s discretion, a cash award. Prizes will only be awarded to the person who is the owner of the Account.
13) By entering the Contest, each Entrant agrees to abide by these Contest Rules. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws. Void where prohibited by law. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to all aspects of this Contest are final and binding on all Entrants without right of appeal.
14) Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, withdraw or amend this Contest in any way, without prior notice or obligation, in the event of an error, technical problem, computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor that interferes with the proper conduct of this Contest as contemplated by these Contest Rules. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
15) All Entries are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor – including, without limitation, government issued photo identification): (i) for the purposes of verifying an individual’s eligibility to participate in this Contest; (ii) for the purposes of verifying the eligibility and/or legitimacy of any Entry entered (or purportedly entered) for the purposes of this Contest; and/or (iii) for any other reason the Sponsor deems necessary, in its sole and absolute discretion, for the purposes of administering this Contest in accordance with these Rules. Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of the Sponsor in a timely manner may result in disqualification in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor. The sole determinant of the time for the purposes of a valid Entry in this Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
16) By entering the Contest and Tweeting a Contest Tweet, each Entrant: (i) without limiting the Twitter Terms of Service grants to the Sponsor, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Tweet, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason; (ii) waives all moral rights in and to his/her Tweet in favor of the Sponsor; and (iii) agrees to release and hold harmless the Contest Parties and each of their respective agents, employees, directors, successors, and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action that relate in any way to the Tweet. For greater certainty and the avoidance of any doubt, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and at any time, to modify, edit or disqualify any Tweet if a complaint is received with respect to the Tweet, or for any other reason. If such an action is necessary at any point, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify the Tweet (and corresponding Entry) and/or the associated Entrant. If the Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that any Tweet does not comply with these Rules for any reason at any time, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify the Tweet (and corresponding Entry) and/or the associated Entrant.
17) Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed, or otherwise, illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple Twitter accounts, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify you from entering, participating, winning prizes (defined herein), and preclude you from participating in future contests and promotions, at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, contain false information, are damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions these rules will be judged void. All Entries become the property of Sponsor upon receipt and none will be returned. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
18) Without limitation, the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and the Contest judges will not be liable for any failure of the website during the Contest; for an technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; for the failure of any Entry to be received by the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies or the Contest judges for any reason including, but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; or any combination of the above. Further, the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and the Contest judges will not be liable for any injury or damage to an Entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading any material in the Contest.
19) In the event of a dispute, Entries will be deemed to have submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. If the identity of an online Entrant is disputed, the authorized account holder associated with the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the Entrant. A selected Entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the selected Entry. The sole determinant of the time for the purposes of a valid online Entry in this Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
21) Contest Winners are solely responsible for any and all federal, state or provincial income taxes associated with the Prize. The Sponsor will provide documentation on the value of the Prize to the Winner.
22) Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or in association with, Twitter. Any questions or comments regarding the Contest should be directed to the Sponsor, not Twitter.